- Advanced Naturalist Internship (Wildlife/Animal Care Focus Area)
Audubon Center of the North Woods
The Audubon Center of the North Woods (ACNW) is located in Sandstone, MN. We serve as a private, non-profit residential environmental learning center (RELC), wildlife rehabilitation facility, and conference & retreat center. Our diverse 535-acre property includes a variety of habitats, including old-growth red and white pines, hardwood forests, restored wetlands and prairies, and the beautiful Grindstone Lake.
We offer environmental learning experiences for people of all ages, with programming in natural history and science, team-building, adventure programming, and outdoor/environmental education. Our participants have the opportunity to experience a wide range of learning environments including our wildlife barn, yurt, log cabin, formal science classroom, and of course, the great outdoors!
ACNW is an accredited school with the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges as well as a field campus for Northland College, Inver Hills Community College, and Hamline University. We have over 40 years of environmental education experience, and an incredible variety of educational programs and audiences which offers a one-of-a-kind internship opportunity. All of our interns teach and work with the groups who come to visit us, but they also have a focus area to work in as well.
Currently we are looking for people interested in a Wildlife Focus Area internship with us. Along with teaching/working with our groups this intern would also work with our non-releasable education animals and help with their care and training. We hope you will consider becoming part of our dynamic education team!
- Hold a BA or BS degree
- 21 years of age or older
- Experience in working with children in an educational outdoor setting
- Able to work without supervision and are self-motivated
- Knowledge of, or interest in, the natural and cultural history of Minnesota
- Fun, out-going personality and a good sense of humor
Wildlife Focus Area Intern Duties include:
- Environmental and adventure education instruction to large and small groups
- Serving as a liaison for school and weekend groups
- Duties in the following focus area: Wildlife/Animal Care
- Program and curriculum development
- Willing and able to work long hours including many weekends
- General maintenance of living quarters and center grounds
- Administrative tasks
- Learn environmental education from our professional staff
- Gain teaching experience and expand natural history knowledge
- Extend your knowledge behind the scenes with a look at what it takes to run an environmental education center, e.g. fundraising, budgets, marketing, etc.
- $80/week, private room, and most meals
- Optional Graduate Credits from Hamline University, (St. Paul, MN) which applies to a 10-credit Master's Level Certificate in Environmental Education
This internship begins August 21, 2012, and runs through June 10, 2013. There is a possibility of extending the experience to start in June of 2012.
The deadline to apply for this position is May 25th, 2012.
For more information or an application please contact:
Audubon Center of the North Woods
(320) 245-2648 ext. 107
Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/AudubonCenter
- Posted: 4/25/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency