- Community Organizing/Outreach Intern - Focus area: St. Paul Zero-Waste Composting Campaign
Focus area: St. Paul Zero-Waste Composting Campaign
Date Summer 2012
Hours 10-20 hours per week, flexible.
Compensation Unpaid, bus passes available.
Reports to Community Outreach Coordinator/Organizer
Eureka Recycling is the only organization in Minnesota that specializes in zero waste. The organization's services, programs, and policy work present solutions to the social, environmental, and health problems caused by wasting. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, based in the Twin Cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, Eureka Recycling's mission is to demonstrate that waste is preventable, not inevitable. Because this mission is realized by any person or group that chooses to prevent waste, Eureka Recycling provides opportunities for everyone to experience firsthand that waste can be prevented.
Perhaps most well-known for its $9 million annual recycling operations, Eureka Recycling has provided curbside and apartment recycling services, education, and advocacy since 2001. Eureka Recycling has a wide range of initiatives designed to prevent the needless wasting of our discards through reuse, recycling, composting, waste reduction, producer responsibility, and more. These initiatives provide over 100 jobs for individuals who demonstrate our mission every day in the work that they do. By its efforts in programs, services, and advocacy, Eureka Recycling aspires to help individuals, organizations, and communities understand the significance of zero waste and achieve their own zero-waste goals.
Eureka Recycling is bringing together passionate and credible voices to support the City of Saint Paul's enactment of Eureka Recycling's city-wide zero-waste composting plan. Zero-waste composting first considers how much wasted food we can prevent, before it even needs to be composted. Next, composting everything we can at home to avoid impacts of transportation and keep the valuable resource as close to home as possible. Then, providing the best collection of what's left so this important community resource - to enhance our much needed dirt - can be used for its highest and best use: growing more healthy food. Eureka Recycling's approach to zero-waste composting is designed to meet the unique needs and interests of each community.
In the summer of 2012, Eureka Recycling will bring its zero-waste composting proposal to the neighborhoods of St. Paul for community feedback. The Community Organizing Intern will assist in implementation of this outreach campaign and community process directed toward Saint Paul residents. The campaign is designed to connect the growing number of people who are joining the zero-waste composting movement throughout Saint Paul. This internship is ideal for a person who is interested in community-based, grassroots outreach efforts used by a community nonprofit organization to influence environmental policy. This intern will see firsthand how environmental concerns in the community are transformed into city policy and will play an active role in engaging the communities in Saint Paul in environmental issues.
1. Outreach: Work with the Community Organizer to prepare for outreach activities related to zero-waste composting, communicate to residents, utilize Eureka Recycling's extensive volunteer and community network, print media, and other media to broadcast information and results from the community process.
2. Community Events and Meetings: Attend, coordinate details with event organizers, assist in turn-out and recruiting volunteers, organize materials and assist in creating displays and information materials.
3. Campaign Research: Organize and update contact lists, research possible partnerships and events, identify and understand city systems, departments, and processes that impact the campaign.
4. Messaging: Learn and understand zero-waste messages to talk to residents about zero-waste composting and preventing wasted food.
5. Tracking: Maintain system to follow up with residents interested in composting, track feedback, assist in tracking and reporting on the success of outreach activities.
6. Perform general office duties (filing, data entry, mailings, photocopies, etc.) as needed to complete responsibilities.
7. Attend staff trainings on zero-waste issues when relevant and possible.
8. Assist with special projects as needed, which may include monitoring for at least one zero-waste event.
1. Demonstrated community organizing interest and experience.
2. Strong communication skills and ability to effectively articulate ideas and concepts through written communication and individual conversations and correspondence.
3. Good listening and documentation skills.
4. Excellent attention to detail.
5. Demonstrated organization skills. Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
6. Ability to interact respectfully with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings.
7. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
8. Demonstrated ability to work scheduled hours and arrive on time. Hours may include some evenings and weekends, to be able to connect with community members and attend community meetings and events.
9. Interest in Eureka Recycling's zero-waste mission, the environment, and community-based organizations.
10. Computer skills: proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Internet.
11. Access to transportation - ability to travel to community events not held at the office.
Complete application packets (including resume, cover letter, and required application) will be accepted until position is filled. Once the position has been filled, additional applicants will not be considered. To request the required application, please email email@example.com.
Mariah Neuharth, HR Generalist
Phone: (651) 222-7678
Fax: (612) 623-3277
2828 Kennedy Street NE
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55413
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY STATEMENT
Eureka Recycling will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicants for employment or internships on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or affectional orientation.
- Posted: 5/2/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency