- Zero-Waste Education Intern
Focus: Community Outreach and Education Around Multifamily (Apartment) Building Recycling
Date: Summer 2012
Hours: 15-20 hours per week, flexible, during regular work hours. Some evening and weekend hours may be required
Compensation: Unpaid. Bus passes available.
Reports To: Zero-Waste Education Coordinator
Eureka Recycling is the only organization in Minnesota that specializes in zero waste. The organization's services, programs, and policy work present solutions to the social, environmental, and health problems caused by wasting. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, based in the Twin Cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, Eureka Recycling's mission is to demonstrate that waste is preventable, not inevitable. Because this mission is realized by any person or group that chooses to prevent waste, Eureka Recycling provides opportunities for everyone to experience firsthand that waste can be prevented.
Perhaps most well-known for its $9 million annual recycling operations, Eureka Recycling has provided curbside and apartment recycling services, education, and advocacy since 2001. Eureka Recycling has a wide range of initiatives designed to prevent the needless wasting of our discards through reuse, recycling, composting, waste reduction, producer responsibility and more. These initiatives provide over 100 jobs for individuals who demonstrate our mission every day in the work that they do.
Eureka Recycling is a nonprofit organization and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Eureka Recycling is recognized as a national leader in the development and management of highly successful multifamily and apartment building recycling programs.
Recycling is one of the most important actions any person can take to reduce waste and protect the environment. Multifamily building residents and property managers however often face unique and difficult challenges in setting up programs that all people residing in the buildings can understand and take part in. This position will work with the Customer Relations and Education team to support the successful set-up and management of multifamily recycling programs in the cities of St Paul, Roseville and Lauderdale.
A successful candidate for this internship will have an interest and passion for environmental education and equity. They will be excited about opportunities to work with residents and property managers to examine specific challenges faced at each property. They will also work together with property management, residents and Eureka Recycling staff to create solutions to ensure residents in the building has access to the recycling program and a clear understanding of how to recycle in their building. Once a plan is in place to receive support from the property manager, the person in this position will identify outreach needs for individual owners, managers, and residents in apartment buildings, condominiums, and town homes. This intern will also assist staff in developing procedural and operational efficiencies in the management of various aspects of the multifamily program. By having direct contact with the public, this intern will provide excellent outreach and customer service to increase awareness of the various social, environmental and financial benefits of recycling to help motivate residents and property managers to continue to create and manage successful recycling programs.
Eureka Recycling is seeking an energetic, dedicated, and articulate individual. This internship is ideal for someone looking to gain experience working in a nonprofit organization and is interested in learning more about building community partnerships and educating residents about the benefits of recycling.
1. Engage property managers and motivated residents of multifamily properties to create and maintain successful recycling programs using tools, training and methodologies provided.
2. Work with the Zero-Waste Education Coordinator to analyze information about apartment buildings and choose buildings to target with outreach or needs for updates.
3. Work with the Zero-Waste Education Coordinator to adjust logistics of service (cart numbers and frequency of service) and recycling needs based on building performance in an effort to support the success of the recycling program at each property.
4. Fulfill requests for education materials such as posters and flyers.
5. Work with the Zero-Waste Education Coordinator to directly connect with property management to ensure continued communication and to provide recycling information.
6. Update contact information for property management via phone and/or e-mail.
7. Assist with office and administrative tasks as needed to complete above responsibilities.
8. Present at resident meetings the recycling program and inspire people to participate in the program and see the benefits of recycling for the environment, the economy and the community.
9. Support Customer Relations and Education staff by updating internal resources and information.
10. Assist with event preparation and monitoring for at least one zero-waste event.
11. Participate in educational and outreach events as needed.
12. Complete other projects as assigned.
1. Interest in environmental and community issues.
2. Ability to interact respectfully with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings.
3. Ability to work nights and weekends
1. Interest in and commitment to Eureka's zero-waste mission and its programs.
2. Strong communication skills including the ability to express concepts through individual conversations.
3. Demonstrated ability to work scheduled hours and arrive on time.
4. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
5. Ability to keep detailed, legible, and accurate reports and notes.
6. Reliable transportation. Mileage will be reimbursed.
7. Spanish, Hmong, or Somali language skills a plus.
Complete application packets (including resume, cover letter, and required application) will be accepted until position is filled. Once the position has been filled, additional applicants will not be considered. To request the required application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mariah Neuharth, HR Generalist
Phone: (651) 222-7678
Fax: (612) 623-3277
2828 Kennedy Street NE
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55413
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY STATEMENT
Eureka Recycling will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicants for employment or internships on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or affectional orientation.
- Posted: 5/2/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency