Employment opportunities in EE
- Youth Energy Summit Area Coordinator
Prairie Woods Environmental Learning Center
0.5 FTE YES! Area Coordinator will coordinate activities, resources, and planning to support 10-12 YES! teams of youth and their team coaches in southwest and west central Minnesota. Position will average 20 hours per week.
Youth Energy Summit (YES!) empowers youth to partner with their community to create economic and environmental vitality through hands-on learning and team-based projects related to renewable energy and energy conservation. Through YES!, teams of youth in grades 8 through 12 engage in hands-on learning and undertake meaningful projects related to energy efficiency, renewable energy, waste reduction, local foods, and more!
YES! is a collaborative effort between Prairie Woods Environmental Learning Center (PWELC) and the Southwest Initiative Foundation (SWIF) that began in 2007. Please visit www.youthenergysummit.org to learn more about YES! and the tremendous work being accomplished by YES! teams.
- Serve as main point of contact for 10-12 YES! teams and adult coaches.
- Along with adult coaches, facilitate youth teams as they plan youth-led projects in their school and community.
- Provide teams with resources, educational opportunities, ongoing support and follow-up.
- Assist teams throughout the year in identifying and connecting with local organizations and businesses to support their work.
- Track outcomes of team projects and assist in project evaluation.
- Recruit new teams by communicating and meeting with school administration, potential coaches, and community members.
- Work closely with staff from PWELC and SWIF.
- Work with fellow YES! coordinators to plan and facilitate workshops/events.
- Assist in communication and public relations about YES!.
- A team player who is creative, flexible, detail-oriented and able to meet multiple deadlines.
- Personable and highly self-motivated.
- Experience working with youth in an educational setting.
- Sound understanding of energy issues and opportunities (energy efficiency, renewable energy, waste reduction, local foods).
- Passion for environmental stewardship, experiential education, and rural communities
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships within a network of organizations, businesses, communities, and individuals.
- Excellent computer skills; proficient at using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent oral, written, and electronic communication skills. Fluent w/ online communication and social networking. Experience maintaining websites and blogs preferred.
- Experience with event planning.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience in Environmental Studies, Education, or related field.
- Familiarity with existing networks including schools, businesses and organizations in southwest and west central Minnesota is a plus.
- Grant-writing experience is a plus.
Position based from Prairie Woods Environmental Learning Center, Spicer, MN. Regional travel required.
Compensation: Competitive hourly rate, DOE.
About Prairie Woods ELC:
PWELC is a regional center for environmental education and outdoor recreation which serves approximately 20,000 people each year from throughout west central and southwestern MN. The center operates almost entirely with renewable energy and features several prototype systems which have been replicated by YES! teams throughout the region. Prairie Woods has a strong commitment to the social, economic and environmental wellness of our region. Visit www.prairiewoodselc.org for more information on Prairie Woods.
Applications accepted immediately. Position will remain open until filled.
Send resume, cover letter and references via email to Dave Pederson, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Applicants are encouraged to attach, or provide links to, examples of your work with on-line communication and social networking for educational purposes.
This position is made possible through a grant from the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund (ENRTF).
- Posted: 5/17/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency