Employment opportunities in EE
- Information Officer 3 - News & Social Media Specialist
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
St. Paul, MN
$ 19.33-$ 28.35 hourly, $ 40,361-$ 59,195 annually
Closing Date: 07/20/2012
Working Title: News & Social Media Specialist
Hiring Agency: Natural Resources Dept
Location: St. Paul
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Posting Number: 12DNR000495
Employment Conditions: Permanent, Full-time
Work Shift: Day Shift
Days of Work: Monday-Friday , 08:00 AM-04:30 PM
Travel Required: yes
Job Grouping: General Administration
Classified Status: Classified
This position exists to help the DNR's Office of Communication and Outreach achieve its communication goals through writing, editing, media outreach, and social media work. This position will use a variety of communications tools, including news releases, web messages, social media and direct media outreach. This position will work as part of an agency-wide team of information officers, will participate in agency and state emergency response communications, and work on communications related to special events.
- Coordinate DNR's news release process
- Write news releases and other news products
- Coordinate DNR's social media efforts
- Produce weekly employee newsletter
- Provide editing and rewriting services
- Support special events (e.g. Minnesota State Fair, Governor's fishing opener)
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, mass communications, public relations, English or closely related field.
- Two years of professional level experience in journalism, media relations, public affairs, or closely related field.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to master emerging technologies related to social media and web communications.
- Requires occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as file folders, ledgers, and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
- Requires a Class D Driver's License: a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of less than 26,000 pounds. This is a basic driver's license. Operators may also tow vehicles/trailers as long as the gross combination weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds.
- Knowledge of the state's natural resources and the disciplines, programs, projects, and responsibilities of the Department of Natural Resources
- Professional media experience (e.g. reporter, editor or producer)
- Demonstrated ability to write professional news releases, meeting accepted journalism standards.
- Thorough knowledge of journalistic principles, practices, and techniques.
- Working knowledge of natural resources or environmental journalism.
- Public outreach experience sufficient to effectively disseminate information to print and electronic media reporters, stakeholders and the public.
- Experience writing, posting, or editing for websites and social media.
- Ability to prioritize, delegate, and manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Teamwork, team building, and leadership skills.
The selection process is a resume-based, skill-matching process. Resumes of all applicants to this posting will be evaluated against the Minimum Qualifications stated above. If your skills match the required skills for this position, the department may contact you.
If you have already submitted a resume to this database within the last 12 months that clearly identifies your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience, you do not need to submit another.
Effective July 1, 2009, new legislation provides that the top five "Recently Separated Veterans" who apply and meet the qualifications for a vacancy be granted an interview. To qualify as a Recently Separated Veteran, you must meet all of the following criteria.
-have separated under honorable conditions from any branch of the armed forces of the United States;
-have served on active duty for 181 consecutive days or more or for the full period ordered to active duty OR have separated by reason of disability incurred while serving on active duty;
-be a United States citizen or resident alien;
-have served in active military service at any time on or after September 11, 2001, as shown on your form DD-214.
You must meet ALL of the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS for this position and ALL of the ABOVE CRITERIA for a "Recently Separated Veteran". It is your responsibility to submit a copy of your form DD-214 by the closing date of the posting to email@example.com or fax 651-296-6494. Failure to submit the form DD-214 will affect your consideration for an interview under the terms of the new legislation.
PLEASE NOTE that all vacancies are filled in accord with applicable union contract provisions. We must meet our contractual obligations prior to considering "Recently Separated Veterans" and other applicants.
How to Apply:
Most State selection processes utilize a resume-based screening process. You will be contacted by agency staff if your background best matches the selection criteria on this job posting. To apply for this position, click the APPLY box found at the bottom of this job announcement. For additional information about the State?s selection process, go to <http://www.careers.state.mn.us/job-tip>.
Contact for More Information:
Scott Pengelly, (651) firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://statejobs.doer.state.mn.us/JobPosting/45bee915eaa2dd537d3aba82241daab8/View
- Posted: 7/10/12
- Revised: 12/6/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency