Employment opportunities in EE
- Compostadores Program Coordinator
Applications are due by July 25th. Position is open until filled; preferred start in mid-late August.
Gardening Matters is a Twin Cities-based organization dedicated to successful and sustainable community gardens and the gardeners that make them happen. Our work is achieved by strengthening collective community engagement, knowledge sharing, and neighborhood growing networks. Gardening Matters is seeking a Coordinator for our Compostadores Program.
The Compostadores work to address a key component of garden sustainability by helping gardeners build soil fertility and mitigate soil toxicity through composting.
The Compostadores Program Coordinator is responsible for the daily operations of the Compostadores Program, which serves to help community gardens to build the capacity of each garden to improve its own soil nutrition through composting. The work of the Compostadores stems from Will Allen's teachings at Growing Power in Milwaukee, WI.
Primary components of the Compostadores Program:
1) Hauling food waste by bicycle and producing compost at four community garden sites through a Neighborhood Composting program with neighborhood engagement. The project has been developed with funding from City of Minneapolis, and support from multiple agencies, businesses and organizations. The program operates under a Demonstration permit with MN Pollution Control Agency, which runs through June 2013, to measure the safety and feasibility of neighborhood composting. Through this work, the coordinator is responsible for training interns, ensuring collaboration between stakeholders, building community support, reporting on outcomes, and in applying for a permit for an additional year.
2) Educational and technical outreach to community gardens and community groups to get started in composting where they live and work. Compostadores work with participants to build a low-cost, low-maintenance compost bin while learning how to compost. The project includes follow-ups to ensure confidence in composting systems.
This program started two years ago as a volunteer workgroup, and has since developed into a program of Gardening Matters. Applicants should see themselves as part of the evolution of the program as it moves into a self-sustaining program. The program has been well received; over the last 2 years, over 40 bins have bin built, including evolving partnerships with ten food production sites, numerous community gardens, and an advisory panel representing multiple stakeholders and interests. The demonstration project operates in North Minneapolis and South Minneapolis. Bin-Build workshops occur throughout the Twin Cities. Candidate will periodically need access to a vehicle.
This is a great opportunity to build a composting business within the organization that advances the well-being of the urban environment, social justice, and green job creation. A business plan is currently in early stages of development, and we anticipate implementation early in 2013. The Compostadores Coordinator will be seeking grants and other funding opportunities for the program. Funding for the Coordinator position is guaranteed through June 2013 and contingent on funding beyond that date.
A strong applicant will have the following:
- A demonstrated competency in supervision and leadership
- Excellent collaboration skills and ability to work with others
- Strong biking experience and an understanding of biking as transportation
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of composting and/or gardening experience
- Good writing skills, including grant-writing and reporting
- Enthusiasm for developing a business model
- Experience with budgeting, including creating and maintaining
- Significant knowledge of Minneapolis and St. Paul roads and neighborhoods
The position is (35 hours/week) and pay rate is $15-16/hour
Gardening Matters offers life and disability insurance, flexible work schedules, and professional development opportunities. We do NOT currently offer health insurance or retirement benefits. Our office is located in the Sabathani Center at 310 E. 38th St., Minneapolis, MN 55409.
Applicants should submit:
- A cover letter
- Three references
You will receive brief email confirmation of your application within 48 hours of receipt. All applicants will be notified about the position once it has been filled - please do not inquire about the status of your application.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Compostadores Coordinator Application" in subject header. You can also email questions of clarification, or call the office at 612-821-2358.
Gardening Matters is an equal opportunity employer.
- Posted: 7/13/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency