Employment opportunities in EE
- Naturalist (Intermittent)
Ramsey County - Tamarack Nature Center
White Bear Township, MN
$16.87 - $24.88 Hourly
This posting is for intermittent (on call) with no guarantee of hours. Must be available to be on call the first and third weekends of each month in addition to weekdays. There is no regular assigned schedule.
To prepare and conduct interpretive nature, environmental education, nature based birthday party and outdoor recreation programs at parks and open space, and primarily at Tamarack Nature Center (TNC); to greet visitors and answer phones and visitors' questions, assist with supervision of volunteers and animal care; and to perform other related duties as assigned.
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this job, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list of job descriptions to find the description you are seeking.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Plan and conduct programs for all ages and audiences on natural history and outdoor recreational topics; including preparation and cleanup after program delivery.
- Conduct hikes and tours at the Nature Center and other County parks for special groups such as students, scouts, homeschoolers, people with disabilities, and senior citizens.
- Respond to questions from the public, relaying program information, explaining park rules, and helping with plant and animal identification and natural history topics.
- Assist in maintaining the Nature Center's collections and its inventory of program teaching supplies and recreation equipment.
- Contribute ideas and content for program curriculum, exhibits, and displays for Nature Center building, grounds, and trails.
- Assist in the training of volunteers in areas such as bird banding, trail guiding, and program delivery.
Education: Two years of post secondary education concentrating in biology, ecology, environmental science, science education or a closely related field.
Experience: One year (2080 hours) of experience developing or conducting environmental education and interpretive programs for the general public, school children and/or youth groups, or performing other similar duties.
Desired Qualifications: Experience integrating the principles of art and nature-based programming.
EXAM/SCREENING PROCESS INFORMATION
EXAMINATION: The examination/screening process will consist of the following sections with each section weighted as indicated:
1. Training & Experience Rating...................Wt. 100 percent
NOTE: The Training & Experience Rating will be based on the supplemental questionnaire that you need to complete as part of your application. Please be sure to be complete in your answers and do not mark "see resume" or "see work history". Failure to clearly and completely outline your training & experience could adversely affect your examination score and rank on the eligible list for this classification.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
Apply Online at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/ramsey/default.cfm.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact Jennifer Otley at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (651) 266-2721.
Closing Date: August 20, 2012
- Posted: 8/7/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency