Employment opportunities in EE
- Natural Resources Parks Specialist
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
Beaver Creek Valley State Park - Caledonia, MN
$ 16.41-$ 23.74 hourly
Closing Date: 08/20/2012
Working Title: Park Ranger/Ops Specialist
Hiring Agency: Natural Resources Dept
Division/Bureau: Parks & Trails/Region 3
Location: BEAVER CREEK VALLEY STATE PARK
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Posting Number: 12DNR000562
Employment Conditions: Permanent, Part-time , 60 percent
Work Shift: Rotating Shift
Days of Work: Varies , 08:00 AM-11:00 PM
Travel Required: yes
Job Grouping: Environmental Sciences
Classified Status: Classified
This unlimited part-time (60 percent) is anticipated to work approximately 75 percent from May to September, and approximately 50 percent from October to April. Hours and days of work vary and include evenings, weekends and holidays. For FLSA purposes, this position is Non-Exempt. This position will report to the Park Manager at Great River Bluffs State Park and provide administrative leadership at Beaver Creek Valley State Park.
This position will provide applicants the opportunity to gain experience in the following aspects of park operations:
- Personnel Lead Work - recruit, interview, hire, train, schedule and direct employees.
- Physical Plant Management - repair, maintenance and custodial services for buildings, grounds, utilities and all other facilities.
- Fiscal Management - management of revenue operations, budgets and purchasing of goods and services.
- Resource Management - management of natural and cultural resources of the park.
- Visitor Services and Interpretive Program Management - administration of the park's personal and non-personal interpretive programs and administration of vehicle permit sales, campground operation and operation of all public facilities.
- Enforcement and Emergency Services - lead worker for night security, enforce relevant rules and statutes and provide emergency response to ensure visitor safety.
- Public Relations - provide information to park visitors and to the local community via media outlets. Also includes involvement with local community interest groups.
- Policy and Planning - participate in planning and policy efforts of the park, division and department.
- Safety - perform inspections, ensure use of protective equipment and safe work behavior, investigate/report injuries and potential visitor hazards, etc.
*****IF YOU FEEL YOU MEET THESE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND WISH TO APPLY, SEE THE "HOW TO APPLY" SECTION FOR INSTRUCTIONS*****
Bachelor's degree in a natural resources field such as Outdoor Recreation, Forestry, Ecology, Fisheries, Wildlife, Field Biology or a related degree AND four months experience in at least three of the following areas: 1) customer service; 2) providing work direction to staff; 3) budget, accounting or revenue handling; 4) management, interpretation and/or preservation of natural resources; 5) building and/or grounds maintenance or development;
Associate's degree in Natural Resources Recreation Management or related field AND three years experience in at least three of the five areas identified above.
Other requirements include:
- Knowledge of natural resource principles, practices and trends.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to direct delivery of quality and safe visitor services.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to plan, organize and schedule work tasks.
- Ability to analyze data and prepare reports.
Requires occasionally lifting articles such as 50-pound bags maximum and frequently lifting and/or carrying objects such as heavy tools and boxes. This job may require walking or standing to a significant degree on rough terrain or may involve sitting most of the time with pushing and pulling of arm and/or leg controls.
Requires a Class D Driver's License: a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of less than 26,000 pounds. This is a basic driver's license. Operators may also tow vehicles/trailers as long as the gross combination weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds.
Bachelor's degree in a natural resource management field with an outdoor recreation emphasis AND four months experience in at least three of the following areas:
1) customer service;
2) providing work direction to staff;
3) budget, accounting or revenue handling;
4) management, interpretation and/or preservation of natural resources;
5) building and/or grounds maintenance or development.
Experience in a park or natural resources field, as an employee or volunteer.
Supervisory or lead worker experience.
Knowledge of MN State park rules, policies and facilities.
Knowledge of employee safety programs.
Knowledge of building, utilities, road and trail construction and design.
Computer skills in MS Suite, Outlook, etc.
Experience dealing with conflicts and emergency situations.
The selection process is a resume-based, skill-matching process. Resumes of all applicants to this posting will be evaluated against the Minimum Qualifications stated above. Applicants will be further evaluated based on the supplemental information regarding their work experience, as noted under How To Apply.
Recently Separated Veterans:
Effective July 1, 2009, new legislation provides that the top five ?Recently Separated Veterans? who apply and meet the qualifications for a vacancy be granted an interview. To qualify as a Recently Separated Veteran, you must meet all of the following criteria:
-have separated under honorable conditions from any branch of the armed forces of the United States
-have served on active duty for 181 consecutive days or more or for the full period ordered to active duty OR have separated by reason of disability incurred while serving on activity duty;
-be a United States citizen or resident alien;
-have served in active military service at any time on or after September 11, 2001, as shown on your form DD-214.
You must meet ALL of the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS for the position and ALL of the ABOVE CRITERIA for a "Recently Separated Veteran." It is your responsibility to submit a copy of your form DD-214 by the closing date of the posting to Jan Bailey, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by FAX to 651.296.6494. Failure to submit the form DD-214 will affect your consideration for an interview under the terms of the new legislation. PLEASE NOTE that all vacancies are filled in accord with applicable union contract provisions. We must meet our contractual obligations prior to considering ?Recently Separated Veterans? and other applicants.
How to Apply:
In addition to submitting your resume through the online Resume Builder at <https://statejobs.doer.state.mn.us/ResumeBuilder> (or with a paper copy as described below) applicants must submit a response with detailed information regarding their work experience as described below. Please submit this information to Jan Bailey, Department of Natural Resources, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4049, or fax 651-296-6494, or email email@example.com
The job specific information should describe your work experience in at least three of the five following areas: (not more than two pages total)
- Customer Service
- Providing work direction to staff
- Budget, accounting or revenue handling
- Management, interpretation and/or preservation of natural resources
- Building and/or grounds maintenance or development
FAILURE TO SUBMIT THE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REQUESTED ABOVE BY August 20, 2012, MAY AFFECT YOUR CONSIDERATION.
Current State Employees: Please note that employment provisions (including but not limited to seniority and leave accrual) vary among the three branches of Minnesota State government. When considering a job with another branch of state government, you are highly encouraged to explore these differences. For assistance, please direct questions to both your current and anticipated Human Resources offices.
If you wish to apply with a paper copy, submit your resume AND a completed State of Minnesota Employment Application form to: Minnesota Management Budget (MMB), 400 Centennial Office Building, 658 Cedar Street, St. Paul, MN 55155. Be sure to indicate the posting number of this job (12DNR000562) on your application. The paper application is available on the State Employment Web and MMB web sites, at any state agency HR office, or by calling 651-259-3637.
Most State selection processes utilize a resume-based screening process. You will be contacted by agency staff if your background best matches the selection criteria on this job posting. To apply for this position, you may click the APPLY box found at the bottom of this job announcement. For additional information about the State?s selection process, go to <http://www.careers.state.mn.us/job-tip>.
RECENTLY SEPARATED VETERANS, please follow directions under Selection Process.
Contact for More Information:
Rick Samples, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://statejobs.doer.state.mn.us/JobPosting/55d041d0b9b4f27bedff1268c5f0a2c8/View
- Posted: 8/14/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency