- Customer Relations Intern - Focus: Multifamily and Curbside Program
Date Fall 2012
Hours 15-20 hours per week, flexible, during regular work hours. Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
Compensation Unpaid, bus passes available.
Reports to Zero-Waste Education Manager
Eureka Recycling is the only organization in Minnesota that specializes in zero waste. The organization's services, programs, and policy work present solutions to the social, environmental, and health problems caused by wasting. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, based in the Twin Cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, Eureka Recycling's mission is to demonstrate that waste is preventable, not inevitable. Because this mission is realized by any person or group that chooses to prevent waste, Eureka Recycling provides opportunities for everyone to experience firsthand that waste can be prevented.
Perhaps most well-known for its $9 million annual recycling operations, Eureka Recycling has provided curbside and apartment recycling services, education, and advocacy since 2001. Eureka Recycling has a wide range of initiatives designed to prevent the needless wasting of our discards through reuse, recycling, composting, waste reduction, producer responsibility and more. These initiatives provide over 100 jobs for individuals who demonstrate our mission every day in the work that they do.
Eureka Recycling is a nonprofit organization and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Eureka Recycling is seeking an energetic, assertive, and articulate individual. This entry-level internship is ideal for someone looking to gain experience working in a nonprofit organization and is interested in learning more about recycling, environmental issues, speech and/or communications.
The customer relations team is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with all of Eureka Recycling's partners, including resident, cities, counties and other businesses and organizations. The Customer Relations Intern will provide support for this team by assisting staff in a variety of tasks to meet their objectives and by coordinating projects at the administrative level. This intern will greatly assist customer relations staff in developing procedural and operational efficiencies in the management of various aspects of the curbside, multifamily and commercial recycling programs. This intern will be trained in recycling methods and application of the best practices that apply to recycling in multifamily (apartment) buildings based on the 2004 study and Multifamily Toolkit produced by Eureka Recycling. This intern will help to analyze Eureka Recycling's multifamily recycling program in order to identify outreach needs for owners, managers, and residents in apartment buildings, condominiums, and town homes. By having direct contact with the public, this intern will provide excellent customer service and increase awareness of the various aspects of what makes recycling successful for buildings.
1. Complete training and understand basic administrative procedures for tracking and responding to various customer service issues.
2. Aid in the development of an electronic tracking system for customer service issues pertaining to recycling collections.
3. Complete training and learn how to implement a multifamily recycling program with applications specific to Saint Paul's program.
4. Work with the Multifamily Recycling Program Coordinator to analyze information about apartment buildings and choose buildings to target with outreach or needs for updates.
5. Work with the Multifamily Recycling Program Coordinator to adjust logistics of service (cart numbers and frequency of service) and recycling needs based on building performance.
6. Fill requests for education materials such as posters and flyers.
7. Work with the Multifamily Recycling Program Coordinator to make presentations at apartment buildings, townhouse associations and other public events to educate and inspire residents about waste reduction and recycling.
8. Work with the Multifamily Recycling Program Coordinator to make calls to property management in order to update contacts and files.
9. Assist with office and administrative tasks as needed to complete above responsibilities.
10. Support customer relations staff by updating internal resources and information.
11. Participate in sorting waste to help identify ways to reduce waste and increase recycling.
12. Assist with event preparation and monitoring for at least one zero waste event.
13. Complete other projects as assigned.
1. Demonstrated ability to work scheduled hours and to be punctual.
2. Strong communication skills including the ability to express concepts through individual conversations.
3. Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings.
4. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
5. Interest in and commitment to Eureka's mission and programs as well as environmental and community issues.
6. Ability to keep detailed, legible, and accurate reports and notes.
7. Ability to travel to work related events off site. Mileage will be reimbursed for work-related travel to off site locations.
8. Spanish, Hmong, or Somali language skills a plus.
Complete an online application at http://www.eurekarecycling.org/page.cfm?ContentID=36. If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com or call Eureka's Human Resources Department at 612-455-9135.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY STATEMENT
Eureka Recycling will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicants for employment or internships on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or affectional orientation.
- Posted: 8/14/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency