- Non-Profit Business Intern: Recycled Paper Cooperative
Date Spring 2013
Hours 10-15 hours per week, flexible. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
Compensation Unpaid, bus passes available.
Reports to Zero-Waste Education Manager
Eureka Recycling is the only organization in Minnesota that specializes in zero waste. The organization's services, programs, and policy work present solutions to the social, environmental, and health problems caused by wasting. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, based in the Twin Cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, Eureka Recycling's mission is to demonstrate that waste is preventable, not inevitable. Because this mission is realized by any person or group that chooses to prevent waste, Eureka Recycling provides opportunities for everyone to experience firsthand that waste can be prevented.
Perhaps most well-known for its $9 million annual recycling operations, Eureka Recycling has provided curbside and apartment recycling services, education, and advocacy since 2001. Eureka Recycling has a wide range of initiatives designed to prevent the needless wasting of our discards through reuse, recycling, composting, waste reduction, producer responsibility and more. These initiatives provide over 100 jobs for individuals who demonstrate our mission every day in the work that they do.
Eureka Recycling is a nonprofit organization and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Each spring and fall Eureka Recycling organizes a recycled paper cooperative purchasing project, which gives local organizations, individuals, and businesses a chance to close the loop in recycling by purchasing high quality, 100 percent postconsumer recycled office paper at a reduced cost.
This intern will play a significant role helping to coordinate this small business within Eureka Recycling. A successful candidate will coordinate communications, sales and order tracking for the spring 2012 program, including promotional emails, fact sheets, website updates, as well as tracking all orders and maintaining contact with customers to guarantee delivery or pick-up, and planning for the next co-op by identifying potential customers and helping make the co-op more well known. Input of recycled paper co-op data to a contact management database will also be a portion of this work. In addition, this intern will assist with other customer relations and education projects.
Eureka Recycling is seeking a self-directed, organized individual with strong written and verbal communication skills, who is interested in learning how to manage a sustainable business that examines the triple bottom line of cost, customer service and environmental benefit as well as community-based efforts to promote zero waste.
1. Assist in coordinating the spring recycled paper cooperative project including determining local suppliers and prices, promoting the program, tracking customers and orders, monitoring inventory, making pickup and delivery arrangements with customers and writing
a summary of the project. Work with program staff to make decisions about the project and offer input for the future of the paper cooperative.
2. Organize and prepare customer data (using MS Excel and Access) for contact management.
3. Assist in developing a plan to improve sales.
4. Coordinate mailings and perform general office duties (photocopying, assemble handouts, data entry, assist with mailings) as needed to complete above responsibilities.
5. Assist with event preparation and monitoring for at least one zero-waste event, and if necessary, participate in sorting waste or conducting visual audits to help identify ways to reduce waste and increase recycling.
6. Attend staff trainings on recycling issues.
7. Other Customer Relations support work.
1. Interest in and commitment to Eureka's zero-waste mission and its programs.
2. Interest in understanding the development and management of socially responsible, entrepreneurial businesses that respect the environment and the customer while also generating revenue.
3. Experience in organizing projects and demonstrated ability to carry out tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
4. Strong oral and written communication skills.
5. Ability to research and present information in an organized and concise format.
6. Demonstrated ability to work scheduled hours and arrive on time.
7. Ability to interact respectfully with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings.
8. Experience using assorted office machines (copier, fax).
9. Computer proficiency (MS Word, Excel) a plus.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
Normal office environment. Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
Complete an online application at http://www.eurekarecycling.org/page.cfm?ContentID=36. If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com or call Eureka's Human Resources Department at 612-455-9135.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY STATEMENT
Eureka Recycling will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicants for employment or internships on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or affectional orientation.
- Posted: 8/14/12
Privacy Statement | SEEK is a program of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency